i am huge in japan

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Geek project

Now that I have a spare computer I am turning it into a PVR. My first instinct is to use linux and MythTV but it is overly complicated. KnoppMyth is not as straight forward as I'd like with my current TV tuner (it wouldnt let me scan for channels). I am going to get a newer tuner anyway I think. Probably a Hauppage card because they have good Linux support. Hardware encoding is very worthwhile.

At the moment the pc is running Windows 2000 for a media playback via the TV. I do need a Windows install around for firmware upgrades of my Wireless modem and iPod so I am thinking of using XP or XP Media Center Edition. Two birds with one stone? If it's just mostly playback of media Windows is fine for the job. Certainly helps with codecs. I am reluctant to change my Linux/OS X only household policy but you should use the right OS for the job, right? Besides, with full screen video it doesn't matter what the desktop looks like.

I get to hang out in my Suse 10.0 desktop the rest of the time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home