i am huge in japan

Friday, January 09, 2009

A rare update

Wow, what a difference a year makes to my setup.

1) The Eee PC while awesome was not quite meeting all my needs so I sold my Acer Laptop and Eee and bought a Dell Mini 9 instead. It's running Ubuntu 8.10 really nicely and I love the bigger screen and key size.

2) PVR is now running Media Portal 1.0 featuring working fine (finally!) TV Server 3 and using the Monochrome skin. I have the Moving Pictures and My TV Series plugins going for a much more informative and graphical viewing choosing experience.

It also got a big hard ware overhaul to match my new 32" 1080p LCD TV. I bought a new HDMI motherboard and cpu and ram upgrades. Storage also got a 500 GB boost. It is a much better PVR now and I'm really happy with it.

3) Ubuntu 8.10 is my distro of choice on my main desktop. I have just recently switched to a slightly modified Darklooks theme from the GNOME extra themes in the repos.

4) I have a 2nd gen iPod Touch that I have tricked into being linux PC compatible by installing iTunes in XP under VirtualBox. The iTunes uses a unc path back to the Linux PC host for the Library location and I have it managing the filenames for me. This means my Linux media players can also take advantage of the proper tagging. I've started synching podcasts with it too.

5)My quest for proper tagging is also related to an addiction to last.fm :)

2 Comments:

  • It seems you're just a MacBook away from having the perfect setup! Kudos!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:58 am  

  • mac mini for almost 24 hours without an update to geek blog? you're slipping :P

    You can tell Wij. that you'll have access to a macbook soon :P but I guess that doesn't count. :)

    By Blogger minga, at 8:52 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home