i am huge in japan

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

SUSE 10.1/XGL goodness

As expected, my SUSE 10.1 dvd arrived today. I promptly installed it on my home and work computers.

Visually it has some subtle differences and the most noticeable change being the revised way ot installing software.

But I then got eager to set up XGL. I reinstalled the NVIDIA graphics drivers and then went into the Gnome settings to enable XGL. I was really blown away at how much it improved my experience. Window management is much smoother and crisper, and the eye candy effects are really cool. Justin the Mac user across from me was jealous ;)

When I got home I configured XGl as well and discovered even more effects I didn't know about, like peeking behind a window by bending the top of the window down.

I thought a reinstall would be needed at home because it was very slow logging in and CPU usage was maxing out. But it seems to be a problem I read about in a review with the Beagle search enging racing away indexing everything by default. I disabled that and things have sped up.

I haven't used it yet because I'm posting from an Ubuntu laptop but Gnome now features a blog updating program that supports Blogspot and Livejournal so I doubt I'll be updating from the web much anymore.

I'm yet to fully explore the 10.1 set up so I wont comment too much yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home