i am huge in japan

Sunday, January 07, 2007

New year update


Sorry it has been so long since my last post. The new improved Blogger was refusing to let me log in!

I now have my new monitor and it is glorious. Above is a visual representation of my improved desktop area. It's really great having a proper brightness on images. Pictures that were previously big dark squares to me are now full of activity.

I had a bit of a problem getting the right screen resolution to stick at first but after moaning to the Mrs about the problem, she came to look at the error ridden screen and it suddenly worked. Now I know how people I support feel when their problem goes away as soon as I arrive.

I reinstalled Ubuntu Edgy a little while ago because things got a bit bogged down with my constant meddling. It's much better now and I am running Beryl with AiGLX instead of XGL. Visually it is no different but it does meant I get a smoother log on and a shutdown button when I go to log off!

On the PVR front, I have it hibernating from the remote control now. Previouly it put it in standby mode. Which made a bright blue light flash and kept the fans on. I'm still having some intermittant troubles with the hardware. When I first tested the hibernate, it started doing the power on power off loop. I left it for a while and tried again and it hasn't repeated. Then a couple of days ago I was 5 minutes into a show when I got a BSOD and a boot disk failure. The BIOS could no longer detect my IDE hard drive. Replugging it all solved that. Still a mystery why that happened though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home