i am huge in japan

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Fresh install

A fresh install of SUSE 10.1 at home went well. I had a bit of trouble yesterday and this morning because for some reason I couldn't access the repositories. Finally started working this afternoon though. I had to download some codecs so I could watch the video of Lordi at Eurovision.


I hope the guru and packman repo's that I use get 'digitally signed' soon because it sucks having to dismiss a warning message every time I open Software Management or Installation Sources.


I must say I am not impressed with the new way of installing standalone rpm files and the 'Software Updater'. It takes ages to load when installing software and sometimes doesn't work. The updater tells me I have updates but when I try to install them it says I need root privileges. It doesn't *ask* for the password however.


I hope these issues get fixed with a bug fix patch but I doubt they will somehow. I will try updating my GNOME packages which could fix it. (If I can get that repository to load). I think I've found a 2.14 source.


A fresh install means that GNOME now has only one panel instead of two. I didn't think I could make it work after getting used to two, but I've found it not too bad. I considered adding the top panel again but I feel it makes my screen seem too small.


At least XGL is still being awesome. Stumbled across a couple more tricks too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home