i am huge in japan

Saturday, June 03, 2006

A very Dapper Powerbook

Updating the G3 Powerbook Lombard model from Ubuntu Linux Hoary Hedgehog to Ubuntu Linux Dapper Drake went quite smoothly. There was only 3 problems.

1) During the install process via the live cd, out of interest I chose to manually edit the partition table instead of erase the entire disk, just to see how it looks for when I want to do it. But it hanged. So I rebooted and chose to erase the disk and it went smooothly

2)Opera Browser wouldn't install because it was missing a dependency that wasn't in the repositories. (I had already added multiverse and universe). I was a bit stumped and googled to find other people with the same problem. But it was eventually solved by the Ubuntu Wiki which had a page about Opera with a link to the elusive file. Phew.

3)I had backed up the data before installing Dapper so I copied it all back. When I went to tell Opera where the bookmarks file was, it couldn't be found. It seems not all the files were backed up. Oh no! But I discovered them all safely on my main computer. The pendrive for some reason didn't get them all copied on. Damn Nautilus. That has been giving me grief at work a bit too.

Anyway, I am quite liking Dapper. It feels and looks newer. But how much longer it will be used I don't know as in a couple of weeks a Macbook will be purchased!

Still undecided about replacing SUSE with it.

2 Comments:

  • Macbooks are good. Get a Macbook. I'm downloading Dapper as we speak, though I doubt I'll be able to get myself beyond the live cd stage. That's what laziness will do to you. Thanks for the heads up on the problems.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:18 am  

  • Definitely keen to try out the Macbook.

    Good luck with Dapper Drake!

    By Blogger I am huge in Japan, at 1:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home