i am huge in japan

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Tecra M5

I have been building a Tecra M5 at work. We use Windows 2000 there which hasn't worked too well with flashy features on new laptops, until now. The finger print reader worked! I spent a day logging on to Windows by swiping my print across the reader - easy. Until it started to shock me most of the time - ouchy.

After investigating the implications of this technology it was decided to disable it anyway. It's a great feature for a personal laptop but for a business one where the user is not the admin it's troublesome. Fears of locked out data abound.

The sound driver supplied by Toshiba would not install under 2000. I managed to find a copy of the file that would install though - with a little file grabbing out of the modem install archive. I then received a cd with 'Windows 2000' drivers for it - a later version number that did install fine. Oddly the hacky version I got was the same version number as the XP one. Nice work there Toshiba.

Googling for the sound driver I found that the sound card is very hard/impossible to get going under Linux currently. Boo-urns.

Nice laptop though, shiny and light.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home