i am huge in japan

Saturday, July 15, 2006

P-P-P-Powerbook!

Yesterday I got stuck in to making the Kubuntu Powerbook go faster. I did the usual thing of removing unneeded startup processes and I uninstalled a whole bunch of software I wouldn't ever need on it. Gnome has been almost completely gutted as well.

But then I got hold of some 128 MB RAM for it and decided to attempt an upgrade. It had more than I remembered, 192 instead of the 128 I thought. This could potentially have been a problem because the stock standard model came with 64 MB. Only the top RAM slot is (easily) user servicable so I was thinking the 192 was made up of 128 at the top and 64 at the bottom. But I gave it a go anyway and was pleasantly surprised to see the RAM level bump up to 256 MB! woo. There is a noticeable difference but I still max out on RAM usage. Though I can often sit at about 1 or 2 MB of RAM free ;)

There has been suggestion I give Xubuntu a try on it. I may do some day but I am just getting sick of the GNOME/GTK look at the moment and need a bit of KDE/QT in my life.

1 Comments:

  • What you need is some OS X in your life! Keeping old hardware alive is good though. May the Macbook be with you!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home