i am huge in japan

Sunday, June 25, 2006

VMware and OS X tease

The Macbook has been purchased, with a heavily rebated 30 GB iPod to go with it. I can't wait to have a play with them. I still have to wait two weeks sadly.

In preparation for using OS X a bit, I have skinned my linuxes to use OS X window borders and button positions. I am getting quite used to minimising with the middle button.

Last night I wanted to do a virtual install of Windows XP for Macbook iSight testing with Yahoo Messenger. I downloaded Parallels (13 MB) and tried to install but of course it failed. Looking at their forums it seems it doesn't work with SUSE 10.1 yet. So I look at VMWare Workstation. After some humming and ahhing I gave in and downloaded the 95 MB install. Followed some online instructions and I was soon installing XP.

I couldn't believe how long it took! About an hour to copy in a base OS. It also asked me for network configuration settings on two occasions. Silly install. When it was half way through the graphical file copying process and it said '37 minutes remaining' I thought it was joking!
At least it boots fast.

I've noticed my SUSE boot has slowed a little bit. Somewhat annoying but not too bad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home