i am huge in japan

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

A very dapper PC

Surprise surprise, yesterday I installed Ubuntu on my home PC. After an enlightening dummy run on a work PC I discovered it's best to use the Gnome Partioner first before running the live installer. Turns out the partitioning program in that is a little simplistic and buggy. Once that was avoided it was all plain sailing, 15 minutes later I was on the desktop.

I went back to work while EasyUbuntu did it's thing and then came home to do more configuring. I knew the first user created would have the root password so I wanted to make my own user the second created. I soon found this to be troublesome because I then lost access to menu items that required the root password. (Quite against the spirit of Linux I think) so I gave myself admin rights, possibly temporarily.

My next task was mounting my data partition, post install it auto mounted temporarily but later boots made it read only. A fstab here and a change permission there, I was up and running.

I downloaded Opera 8.54 and installed it to find the same issues as on the Powerbook, missing libraries. So I visited the Ubuntu Wiki and downloaded those. Still can't use the Opera icon for the shortcut so it is once again a Goat.

I really like that no matter what platform I am using, I can get Opera up just the way I like it with all my data stil there.

I haven't had a good play with Ubuntu yet but I am keen to explore more. Until then...(pray for working XGL)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home