i am huge in japan

Sunday, June 04, 2006

EasyUbuntu

Yesterday I got on the task of making Ubuntu play non-free file formats. It's quite easy with a program called EasyUbuntu which luckily supports the PowerPC architecture too.

It's a simple program that with a few tick box selections will install the things you need to play mp3, wmv, mov, dvds, 3d graphic drivers, java etc. It went quite smoothly though I haven't had a chance to try out the java. When I tried to do it manually on Hoary it didn't work out so well. But it was a really easy process so I was glad.

I will definitely use it when/if I choose to install it on an x86 pc.

I have noticed that Dapper boots on the powerbook in 1 minute 40 seconds. Programs like Opera and Firefox open faster than under Hoary but OpenOffice is still slow as a dog. That really needs a fast processor behind it. I ended up making the Opera icon a goat since it refused to use Opera.png. The Mrs really likes the choice and wants one on her Mac!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home