i am huge in japan

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Xfce

Yesterday I installed the Xfce desktop environment in Ubuntu. It's looked alright in screenshots but I didn't vibe off of it. Since it wasn't preconfigured like with Xubuntu I had to do it all from scratch. I found it a bit cumbersome and soon when back to GNOME. It is supposed to be lightweight and faster but I guess my computer is powerful enough to make it no faster than other environments.

Ubuntu was really getting on my nerves with a shift+backspace=restart x server issue. Looking at the forums it is quite common. Something to do with XGL config I think. I applied a fix which worked for a day then came back. Finally got it stable. So aggravating being logged out just as you get to the end of an email.

SUSE is still going okay. Except for a bug where the updates list doesn't clear after installing. I was reading in a recent status meeting that SUSE 10.2 will 'definitely' feature GNOME 2.16. That's good news because I figured they would get stuck with 2.14.

1 Comments:

  • Xfce served me well on my old laptop at work. If that computer wasn't, then at least it felt like an original Pentium, so when I switched from KDE to Xfce, it was definitely a lot faster. Then, of course, the laptop broke. But experts agree that was in no part due to Xfce.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home