i am huge in japan

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Faster!

So I got stuck in and streamlined my Ubuntu boot process yesterday. Disabling unneeded services and some obscure ones. I found some good instructions on the Ubuntu forums. The net result was that I now boot about to the login prompt about 15 seconds faster than before. 40 seconds!

I didn't realise how many laptop specific services I was starting each time. I also uninstalled my previous 386 kernel so I'd stop getting nagged about security updates for it.

Oddly enough, the GNOME system monitor reports that I have two CPU's in my work machine. Which surprises me because it's just a P4 2.6 GHz.

I must look into trimming my SUSE boot some more. I have disabled some things I can see are unnecessary but there must be more I can do. The boot seems to have slowed down some what.

1 Comments:

  • Get those seconds back! Life is short enough as it is! Have you considered compiling your own kernel? Guaranteed to shave off another couple of seconds.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home